JOB OPPORTUNITY: COMMUNICATION & GRAPHIC DESIGN INTERN
ISOCARP Institute – Den Haag, Netherlands
The ISOCARP Institute is the research spin-off of the International Society of City and Regional Planners (ISOCARP), based in The Hague, the Netherlands. With over five decades of accumulated knowledge and expertise in urban and regional planning, ISOCARP as a non-profit organisation with individual and institutional members in 85 countries worldwide, initiated the Institute as a Centre for Urban Excellence – a think-tank empowering individuals, organisations, and institutions to achieve better human settlements. The Institute’s core function is to conduct research and promote knowledge transfer, offer advice and short-term consultancy services, as well as design and deliver capacity-building and educational programmes. The Institute is involved in several projects and collaborates with a range of international partners.
We are seeking a Communications & Graphic Design Intern to join our growing team and support the day-to-day implementation of our projects and Institute. In this position, you will support and assist us in the delivery of our multiple projects, including the visual design of project material (e.g., creation of infographics/multi-media output), web development, social media management/content creation, and video editing; as well as the general external communication of the Institute.
To apply for this position, you should have knowledge of WordPress and graphic design programs, including Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, Adobe Premier, etc.
You will further assist in the management of our online knowledge base, which includes the development of a new strategy for our company website.
An internship at the ISOCARP Institute may lead to a more permanent position upon completion of the internship.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
Communication and Social media:
- Support the day-to-day implementation of communication tasks within our projects
- Prepare engaging visual materials, handbooks, infographics and manuals and assist in formalizing presentations, designing handouts, and booklets
- Support the management of the social media accounts (Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, etc.) of the Institute and our EU projects (creating content and other informative materials)
- Support the creation of local communications campaigns for cities and project partners.
- Translate thematic & technical concepts into compelling visual outputs
- Design and implement all types of graphic design work including reports, publications, posters, brochures, flyers, logos/visual identities, banners, and multi-media creatives;
- Ensure project branding, style, and tone are implemented across all channels.
- Support with the upgrade of the Institute and project websites (plan, implement, manage, monitor improvements)
- Support with the creation of website content (including writing press releases, blog posts, media articles, newsletters, etc.)
- Assist the management of the Institute’s Knowledge Base, including its ongoing restructuring, the development of creative ideas for multimedia content, and organising and updating content libraries/repositories;
- Update website content aligned to the organization’s strategy and events;
- Improve user experience of the websites regularly.
In addition, you:
- Bring an enthusiastic and hands-on mentality and enjoy working in a young, dynamic, and international environment.
- Are a team player, with the ability to engage with stakeholders.
- Can work independently and pro-actively
- Can coordinate several projects simultaneously.
- You hold at least a bachelor’s degree or other advanced qualifications in the fields of Communications & Design, and you have a background or strong interest in the field of urban studies/urban planning
- You understand how to appeal to and tailor communications and dissemination outputs to different audiences.
- You can independently design high quality material and respond well to feedback.
- You are curious, open-minded, and experienced in communications and design.
- You have excellent command of the English language, both verbal and written. Other (European) languages are an asset.
- You preferably have 1 year working experience in the field of communications and design.
- We are looking for someone who can join us as soon as possible. Therefore, candidates located in the Netherlands will have priority (we accept candidates from all nationalities, but you must hold valid EU citizenship or have a valid EU residence permit and Dutch work permit).
What do we offer:
- 28 hrs/week.
- Work in an exciting, multi-disciplinary international team.
- The opportunity to develop yourself through varied assignments
- A competitive salary.
- Hybrid working options and flexible hours.
- Hands-on-experience in real EU-projects in a friendly, encouraging working environment
- Opportunities to grow as a communication professional specialising in translating complex information into legible material
- The opportunity to potentially transition to a permanent position or through varied assignments.
Due to legal reasons, applicants must hold EU citizenship or a valid EU residence permit and a valid Dutch work permit. Applications who do not meet these conditions will not be considered for the position.
How to apply:
Send an application to email@example.com containing:
- CV (pdf titled: surname_comms_CV)
- Motivation letter (pdf titled: surname_comms_ML)
- Portfolio (pdf titled: surname_comms_portfolio)
Subject Line of your email: Surname, comms intern
In your email or cover letter, please indicate your current citizenship/residence permit/work permit situation.
Deadline to apply: 22 September 2023
If you have questions about this vacancy, please send an e-mail to Taliah Dommerholt (Project Manager) firstname.lastname@example.org